How about a HUG? A Huge Unbelievable Goal!
Who doesn’t need a HUG ever now and again? I know I sure do!
What I am talking about are Huge Unbelievable Goals, where we inspire ourselves to grow our business bigger and lead more fulfilled lives by achieving a huge goal, the bigger it is the better!
The magic thing about HUGs is that they are easier to achieve than most people think they are. In fact it’s often easier to achieve a massive goal than a small or average goal.
Why? Well HUGs are so exciting and motivating that often we are willing to go that extra mile to achieve them.
And the best thing about a HUG is that with a little focus and a touch of synchronicity we can often achieve our HUGs much quicker than we might have expected to, and often in some unexpected or even miraculous ways.
So setting a HUG is very different from setting a normal goal. In-fact if you have done any workshops on goal setting you can see that setting a HUG breaks lots of rules in normal goal setting for example your HUG will usually start out with very vague or non specific deadlines. Examples of this are growing your business enough to employ more staff or travelling overseas to an international hair show etc.
So what makes a great HUG?
- You can clearly communicate your HUG. You need to have what you want specifically in-mind.
- Just thinking or talking about your HUG feels exciting and inspires you to do something.
- Your HUG must align with your core values, if it doesn’t long term you won’t sustain the enthusiasm for your HUG.
- The HUG seems impossible or improbable or even a distant dream say 5 to 25 years away.
- You’re excited to work on your HUG, once you get over the fact it might seem impossible or even scary.
Where do you start?
Start with brainstorming. Get together a list of 20 or 30 potential HUGs. If your just starting out on goal setting even 10 is a great place to start. Big thing is that you do. And write them down. Putting that pen to paper makes it more real, more concrete. Don’t just think it, ink it!! Until I did this my goals were always harder to reach and stay focused on.
Here are some questions that can help you during your brainstorming for potential HUGs
- What is it that you want to have or achieve more than anything else in the world?
- What excites and inspires you enough to work your arse off to get it?
- If you had a magic wand and could create your ideal salon, life etc. what would it look like?
- You’re laying on your deathbed looking back over your life, what are the things you wish that you had done?
If you are a vision board user delve deep into it and see if there are any HUGs there.
Now after all that you need to get serious about your HUG. You need to start breaking it down into more specific and manageable steps. And don’t forget to share it with co-workers family and friends, you just might be surprised where help can come from to achieve your HUG much faster than you realised.
HUGs are also something you can share with staff members if you’re a salon owner. Helping them create their own HUGs, it might be hitting $70k or $100K a year, reducing their work days while still making the same amount of money. The possibilities are endless.
Remember this quote from Michelangelo when thinking about HUGs:
“The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it,
but that it is too low and we reach it” Michelangelo